Tuesday 28 September 2010

Week 3 Recap

Week 3 Objectives

  • Review the Learning Contract and make any amendments.
  • Continue research into Comics and interactions.
  • Research possible structures for the comic.
  • Research intended audience.
  • Research genres.
 The following will be started during week 3:
  • Research choose your own adventure books.
  • Research interactions with games.
  • Research storytelling.
The date for the Contract Meeting has been agreed as Friday the 1st of October and will be held in room C39 at 12 noon.

So far I feel that more research into interactions is needed as I have only came across three seperate interaction methods. The most popular one being the tree structure that has many branches leading the story off in different routes, another technique takes the branching structure and adds a secondary element to it making it a lot more diverse but also rather difficult to follow the understanding used within the design process. The third and final technique I came across was the one most commonly seen in games that don't just offer the one linear path through the story. Instead depending on the choices the player made during the game would effect how different circumstances played out later on. I intend to spend some time in week 4 researching structure as I feel it would help to gain an idea of different methods even if they are similar to the second example with the 'branching' structure just being added to

I have been unable to put much time into researching storytelling this week, largely because I have been waiting on the books I have ordered to turn up in the post and intend to look into this in more depth once they have arrived. The 'Making Comics' book by Scott McCloud did touch on it, detailing how different techniques can enhance the storytelling but gave little advice in developing the story.

So far the project is on track and I am confident that I can keep up the pace and meet the deadlines I have set myself on time.

The additional tasks for week 4 are:
  • Carry out further research on structure
  • Update the project plan

No comments:

Post a Comment